Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Deck : Before

So yesterday was amazing. We had the most gorgeous weather. It reminded me of our North Carolina winters. There was also only a slight breeze instead of the strong gusts of wind that seem to happen every single time we go outside. This great weather made me super excited to get out and enjoy our deck space.


As you can tell, it's in an extremely rough state. I think I've been on the deck maybe 4 times all winter. The towels were used to help catch some spray paint. I'm always really nervous when I spray paint out here. I'm not worried about the paint getting on anything so much as the smell bothering others that may have their windows open. No one has complained, so I guess I'll continue doing it.


This is the other end of the deck. And yes, those are rotten pumpkins we never got around to carving, in October.... (they have since been removed) You can see the small dividing fence between our deck and our neighbor. I hate it. I mean, they can stand halfway on their side and see in to our living room/ kitchen/ dining room. 


This is the only wall we have to really work with.


As you can see, a lot of the deck can be seen from the largest portion of the house. Why there are two full sliding glass door, I'll never know. It's dumb, just plain dumb. We only use one, and it's the one in the dining room/ kitchen. The one in the living room we have blocked off and looking from the living room out, you cant really tell it's not just a big window. From the deck looking in it looks pretty silly. So I would like to put something in front of it to sort of block the couch and curtains. 

Here is a rough plan of what we would like from the space. The first, and most important, is blocking off our deck from the other one.

Lattice Privacy Screen - Decorative Style - South Pasadena, California 
via 

Yes. We would like to put up a lattice wall. After we block off the neighbors (have I mentioned how much I hate living in an apartment) We would like to set up a few different areas. Right now we have a table and two chairs. They will not be staying. 

 
 via 

Since we will be creating a new wall, because who am I kidding, if I'm going to put up something I want it to to be a wall. But why stop there. Let's add some seating.


[Casa de valentina - Alvhem - varanda[3].png] 
via  (this is not the original post. so if anyone knows, let me know)

I like how there is a small table next to it. This would then block off the window, which I really want to do.

 
via 

Okay, so I really want a cute little round table to go there. I'm still kicking myself two years later for not buying the cutest patio set from Target...

We would really like to add some sort of garden. We tried last year with two tomato plants. I know that Jordan would like to give it another shot. Maybe something like this.


via 

And we can't forget the cat. We would love to make it a space for her as well. We're considering adding chicken wire to enclose the space. We are on the third story and I doubt she would jump, but you never know.

 
via 

 
 via

So, just a few ideas for the outdoor space. I have a feeling it's going to be a hot, hot summer. But the spring, the spring is going to be nice. Here's hoping we can get it done in time to actually enjoy it!





Linked ::
 



1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a fun project! Can"t wait to see what u do! You should write a book about all the projects you do!xo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They make my day :)

Hello All! I'm Faith- and welcome to Pike's Place. Here you will find an assortment of DIY, house related posts, a little bit of fashion, and family. Take your time and have a look around!

Follow Me

Visits

Pike's Place Blog

Pike's Place Blog
Suburbsmama
The DIY'ers />

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Pikes Place