Sunday, June 16, 2013

Story's Fifth Birthday Party! {Rainbow Party}

As you know, my little lady turned five! She has been on a bit of a rainbow kick lately, and that didn't stop when it came time to pick the theme for her birthday party. Like in years past (1,2,3,4) we let her choose. Not going to lie, I was pretty excited when she mentioned Rainbow. I had seen a lot of neat ideas floating around Pinterest and thought I could make it really interesting. We had the party at Jordan's grandma's house, like last year and on her second birthday. Having used this location before, I knew better than to have it outside. It was a relatively small party, with only five other kids. Which was great, because it let me make the games and party favors just a little bit bigger.


 One of my favorite things was the cloud and rainbow for the dessert table. It was a lot of fun to make. I didn't do a tutorial, but it's pretty simple. I used a lamp shade, one that I found at Goodwill, an old white sheet and some tulle. I started by gluing and taping the sheet in to place. I used Tacky Glue that I found at JoAnn's and packing tape we still had from the move. It took a few days to get it to set and then a few more days for tweaking.



Paper chains. So simple and easy. They added another layer to the decorations. Another fun thing, was making the tissue paper pom poms. No tutorial for these either, but there are a ton of great ones out there.


The food was amazing. We had rainbow fruits and veggies, colored goldfish crackers, meat and cheese platter, and rainbow bread with peanut butter and jelly.


My wonderful father in law made the rainbow bread for the party. I wasn't able to eat it, but everyone said it tasted great. Story was so excited about almost everything being rainbow!



The dessert table was a lot of fun to put together. There was so much candy. We had those kids on a sugar rush, and then sent them home, with more candy ;) The jello-shots were another fun addition. I used six different types of jello. They were layered and them topped with Cool-Whip. They were a huge hit, mostly with the grown-ups.



The cake, now that was an experience. I've never properly iced a cake before. Most of the time I just left them in the pan... Ha, terrible I know. But this year I was determined to do it right. I enlisted the help of Jordan's grandma, who is an expert cake icer. It was so much for working alongside her, getting things ready for the party.



For the drinks we had four different kinds of kool-aid. We kept the plates, cups and utensils simple. The food and drinks were the start of the show.


Each kid received a party favor, after they ate. It was filled with bubbles, silly string, a punch balloons, a lei, glow in the dark bracelet, water gun, and lantern. The boxes were a score at Target.


The birthday girl and a few of her friends. Story's dress was an Etsy find. One that didn't last long. She spilled her drink down it almost instantly and ended up in a random shirt we had. Poor planning on my part.


The dress came with a matching dress to go with her American Girl Doll. She doesn't have one of those, but it did fit perfectly on her Build-A-Bear, Rose.

I don't have a photo of it, but after the kids ate and played with their goody bags we had a golden egg hunt for them.


After that I set up an art table for them to color on. They had markers and glitter glue. They ended up just smearing the glue all over the place and it sort of turned into a sticky mess.



Then it was time for cake. Story was a little disappointed at first when she saw it was just a white cake. She thought for sure it would be a colorful cake. Little did she know...


!!!! YES!!!! I attempted the rainbow cake! And it turned out beautifully! I used a white cake mix and added food coloring to six different bowls. They were then put into round cake pans. (now you know why I needed so much help with the icing :) ) I wasn't able to eat this either, but everyone said it was delicious.


Then it was time for the pinata. Or pianta, as Story likes to call it. It was so cute listening to the kids try and pronounce it. We had to rush the pinata a bit because it started to rain.


We finished the party with more candy and presents. I think it was a hit. Katelyn told Story it was the best birthday party she had ever been to. Kid approved :)



I had so much fun putting this party together. But boy, did it take forever! I'm glad it's done :) The timing was the hardest. We had to cram two really big events into the same weekend. Next year I'm going to space it out better. I plan on using some of the decorations in Story's room. So that will be fun.
**photos c/o Nancy Pike**

Linked ::
 Suburbs Mama
Home Coming

6 comments:

  1. This is AMAZING. How fun! The rainbow bread and rainbow cake are my favorite parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a fun party! Thank you so much for linking up! Hope to see more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any tips on making rainbow bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually my Father-in-Law who made the bread. He said it was fairly difficult, but he makes his bread from scratch and doesn't use a bread machine. I think a bread mix and a bread machine would be the easiest. Just divide up the dough and add the food coloring.

      Delete
    2. The Publix near me bakes the rainbow bread. You have to call ahead to order it.

      Delete
  4. Do you know why none of the pictures show up anymore?
    Thanks for the information! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They make my day :)

Hello All! I'm Faith- and welcome to Pike's Place. Here you will find an assortment of DIY, house related posts, a little bit of fashion, and family. Take your time and have a look around!

Follow Me

Visits

Pike's Place Blog

Pike's Place Blog
Suburbsmama
The DIY'ers />

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Pikes Place